Can I Claim My Parents as Dependents?

Published On: 04/04/2019

Claim my parentsIt’s tax season and we are all looking for deductions. If you are caring for your mother or father, you may be able to claim your parent as a dependent on your income taxes. This allows you to get an exemption.

You must pass the following five factors:

  1. The person you are claiming as a dependent must be a relative. Both parents and in-laws are considered relatives.
  2. Your relative must be a citizen or resident of the United States or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  3. Your parent cannot file a joint return. If your parent is married, each must file separately UNLESS the parent is filing jointly but has no tax liability.
  4. Your parent’s gross income must not exceed the allowable exemption amount for that tax year. Gross income does not include Social Security payments or other tax-exempt income.
  5. You must provide more than half of the support for your parent during that tax year. Support includes food, lodging, clothing, education, medical and dental care, transportation and other similar necessities.

For more information on caring for aging parents, contact Stouffer Legal at 443-470-3599 in the Greater Baltimore area.

To learn more or get started on your estate plan, just schedule a time to visit us for a no obligation complimentary consultation.

Schedule Free Consultation
Post Author

Britt Stouffer

Britt L. Stouffer is a Maryland attorney experienced in Estates, Trusts, and Elder Law. With over 10 years of experience in Estates and Trusts, she has learned to appreciate how unique each client truly is. On a typical day, you will find her working on Wills, Revocable Living Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Advance Medical Directives, Tax Planning cases, Estate Administration filings, Petitions for Guardianships, Special Needs Planning, and Asset Protection.

658 Kenilworth Dr., Ste. 203, Towson, MD 21204

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required